Dianne Goodwin founded BlueSky Designs in 1997 as a result of her vision and commitment to developing innovative products which help people with disabilities do what they want to do. Dianne retired in 2020. During her tenure she combined her passion for design, recreation and job accommodations with her expertise in rehabilitation engineering.
Thousands of people around the world are using innovative, commercially-available products she designed from concept through production. Dianne is a Rehab Engineer by background, and has extensive experience in both bringing commercial products to market and creating custom solutions for individuals with disabilities. She also enjoys expanding others awareness of the possibilities through trainings, and likes to work with and mentor students through design projects.
Di continues to seek out significant everyday problems and transform them into opportunities to develop breakthrough solutions.
- Her focus is on helping people achieve their potential and their dreams
- She dreams of a world where everyone gets what they need — no prior authorizations required — so they can be more self-sufficient and do what they love
- Enjoys finding creative solutions to complex access challenges
Mankato State University, Mankato, MN
Bachelors: Biology/Recreation-Resouce Management, 1976
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Masters: Biomedical Engineering-Rehab Engineering focus, 1987
1977-1978 Naturalist, City of Fridley, Fridley MN
1978-1979 Drafter, Tonka Toys, Minnetonka, MN
1979-1984 Research Assistant, Rehabilitation Engineering Apprentice, RERC on Seating and Wheeled Mobility, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
1986-1987 Intern, Beneficial Designs, Santa Cruz, CA
1987-1990 Rehabilitation Engineer, Gillette Children’s Hospital, St. Paul, MN
1987-1990 Rehabilitation Engineer/Co-founder, Tamarack Habilitation Technologies, St. Paul, MN
1993-1998 Product Design Engineer/Project Manager, AbleNet, Inc., Minneapolis, MN
1997-Present Director of R&D/President/Founder, Blue Sky Designs, Inc., Minneapolis, MN
- Begins each day with 2 cups of extra strength java
- Loves playing with her energizer puppy
- A naturalist in her former life, she loves hiking, canoeing, birding and camping
- Goes on adventures with her partner and friends whenever she can
- Enjoys snow sculpting every winter in Ely MN as a guest artist team with her coworkers and friends